If you’re sensitive to small amounts of toxins

[I don’t usually update my blog posts much later, but this time I had to. Everything I said below is true, but there is a large caveat. I must point out that air purifiers that produce ozone are controversial. The Canadian and US departments of health suggest that you don’t use them at all. If you think it might help you, here’s my suggestion. Do not run it when you’re in the room. Run it for a while, then turn it off, then wait 30 minutes, then go back into the room. The good news is that the ozone breaks down fairly quickly. But ozone can be harmful to your health in and of itself — and it affects some people more than others. Be careful.]

If you’re sensitive to small amounts of toxins, at the very least you want to keep your home free of toxins. To do this, on the occasions when you’re exposed to toxins (e.g., from cigarette smoke) you can take a shower and open all your windows. This isn’t a particularly nice option in the winter, though.

There’s a particular kind of air purifier that solves this problem — they operate differently than other air purifiers. I can’t explain the science, but the company does on their web site. I have no connection to this company other than as a satisfied customer.

Royal Air Purifiers

Opening your windows or running one of these air purifiers will get rid of toxins from the air. On the other hand, if toxins are stuck to the surfaces of objects they’re more difficult to get rid of. In my experience you need to either wash them (e.g., clothing) or put them outside and let the wind blow through them (e.g., furniture).

Finally, just because you don’t get sick from toxins like those of us who are ultrasensitive to them doesn’t mean that they’re not affecting you.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 at 6:11 pm and is filed under From the web, My thoughts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply